Friday, August 10, 2007

T.G.I.F.

Wow. Am I glad this week is over. I don't know why. It wasn't extremely hectic, nor was it strange. It just is what it is. This weekend we are heading down to visit our families. Now, most people would think that it's a great think that my folks and my in-laws live so close together. In my opinion, it's a blessing and a curse.

The blessing part is that they are indeed close together so we can see them all at once and not have to make two separate trips. The curse is trying to divide time equally (which just by the nature of things, never really is equal) among families. It's really stressful trying to make everyone happy. We try hard, but just short of moving in or at least moving next door - it's just not gonna happen.

When you have a toddler, and you are away from home, things all get changed. Change is good. But, not for a toddler. They thrive on routine and repetition. Since our toddler has sleep issues when we are away, we tend to shy away from too much traveling in general. Not because we don't want to see people or do things... just for the pure purpose of keeping everyone on track and avoiding weeks of working back to the way things were. Napping is especially hard because of all the excitement and activity. Last thing you want is a super cranky toddler, tired parents and frustrated grandparents. But, as he grows older, we know the importance of adapting to change every once in a while. Evolution is what has made us the most intelligent mammal in existence (or has it?).

I think someone told me: "The only thing constant in life is change." I know this to be true and it keeps me on my toes. And with a toddler, that's EXACTLY where I need to be.

No comments: